IV Therapy Questions and Answers
Remember, it’s important to stay hydrated! Smart Choice Medical Clinic offers IV therapy in Tyler, TX. We understand the importance of receiving vital nutrients into our systems. For more information, please call us or request an appointment online.
Water is a necessary component to every form of life on earth, from humans and animals, to plants and microbes. A recommendation from The US National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine states that adult men should drink 15.5 cups (124 ounces) a day, and women should drink 11.5 cups (92 ounces) every day. If these numbers seem high, you might not be drinking enough water. In fact, nearly 80% of Americans say they do not drink enough water, which can have many negative health implications. To combat this mass-level of dehydration, IV hydration therapy can help people maintain the proper levels of hydration they need to function optimally, both physically and mentally.
What is intravenous hydration therapy?
Hydration therapy involves inserting an IV line into a vein in the arm to administer fluids full of electrolytes, components essential for proper health and hydration. The electrolytes included in a hydration IV may include potassium, magnesium, sulfate, B vitamins or calcium. The exact combination of fluids will depend on several factors, such as: the age of the patients; their medical history; existing medical conditions; and the severity of the dehydration.
How long does a hydration IV take?
The length of time it takes to complete a hydration IV varies from person to person depending on their individual needs. However, on average, an IV hydration treatment typically lasts between 45 minutes to an hour.
How often can I get an IV?
Every IV hydration therapy can be custom-tailored for each patient; there is no fixed interval of IV therapy for every individual. The rate at which one should receive an IV depends on their unique needs.
What are the benefits of IV hydration therapy?
IV hydration therapy provides a whole host of benefits, including:
- It Works Faster — When a person drinks water or other liquids, it must first pass through the gastrointestinal tract. This can take a long time. On the contrary, with hydration IV therapy, the solution goes straight into the bloodstream because hydration infusion is inserted directly into a vein. This results in much faster absorption than when taken orally.
- It Can Be Customized For Each Individual— Before deciding which type of fluids would work best for their patient, healthcare professionals take into account their severity of dehydration, height, weight, gender, medical history, and existing medical conditions. Using this information, they create a custom-tailored solution designed to target exactly what the patient needs.
- Shorter Recovery Time — People will start to feel better much sooner when compared to oral hydration because the vitamins, electrolytes, and nutrients in hydration therapy reach the bloodstream immediately.
- It Detoxifies the System — Immediate hydration improves blood supply to vital organs, including the kidneys and liver. In turn, this allows these organs to more efficiently flush out toxins from the body.
- It Is Easier on the Digestive System — In severe cases of dehydration, drinking a large amount of fluids can overload the digestive system and cause it to flush out the fluids without actually absorbing the vitamins, electrolytes, and nutrients the body needs to recover.
Can I get IV therapy treatments every week?
The frequency of treatment will depend on the patient’s condition, its severity and the presence of health conditions. For acute conditions, it may be recommended to receive weekly treatments for three to six weeks. For general health maintenance, a monthly treatment may be recommended.
It is important to stay hydrated, especially during these warm months. Come to Smart Choice Medical Clinic for our IV hydration therapy, where we can help you get the vitamins, minerals and nutrients you need with an effective delivery system. Call us today to book an appointment, or visit our clinic conveniently located at 3347 Old Jacksonville Rd, Tyler, TX 75701. Our office is open five days a week: Monday to Thursday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm. We are also open second Saturday of the month from 9 AM to 1 PM. We serve patients from Tyler TX, Bullard TX, Troup TX, Jacksonville TX, Dogwood City TX, Whitehouse TX, Flint TX, and Gresham TX. Looking forward to serve you!